Piazza Plebiscito is the biggest piazza in Naples. It took its name from the
1860 plebiscite that united Naples with the rest of the Kingdom of Italy under
the Savoia family.
The piazza can be found east of the Royal palace and west of the San Francesco
di Paola church with its columns extending towards the other buildings. In the
first few years of the 19th century, the King of Naples was Murat ( Napoleon’s
brother-in-law). He had the idea for the piazza as a tribute to the Emperor Napoleon.
When Napoleon was overthrown, the Bourbon family was restored to the crown and
Fernando the First continued the construction but converted the Church to what
you can see today. It is dedicated to San Francesco di Paola, who lived in a monastery
on that site in the 16th century. The Church reminds one of the Pantheon in Rome.
The facade is dominated by the portico with six columns and two ionic pillars.
Inside, the church is circular with two small lateral chapels